At Crunchyroll, we are committed to delivering the best possible viewing experience for our members while staying true to the original source material.
When it comes to video playback quality on the Crunchyroll app, there are four key factors to consider when the videos are not available in 1080p:
- Source material
- What is reported to the device as the maximum screen resolution
- Your in-app Sync Quality settings for Offline Viewing (downloads)
- Your internet bandwidth
- Source Material: Crunchyroll will provide the highest quality stream that matches the source material received from our publishing partners
- What is reported to the Crunchyroll app as the maximum screen resolution: Your device reports to Crunchyroll's app its maximum screen resolution and the Crunchyroll app will serve video up to this maximum resolution
Your in-app Sync Quality for Offline Viewing (downloads):
- On iPhones, iPads, and Android mobile devices you have the option in your Crunchyroll app settings under Account and under the Offline Viewing section to select between High, Medium, and Low Sync Quality. High will download the best quality, but take the longest to download and take up the most storage space
- On Nintendo Switch devices, the maximum resolution supported for Offline Viewing is 720p to align with the device’s display capabilities when in handheld mode
- Your internet bandwidth: Crunchyroll's video players measure internet bandwidth levels throughout your playback session and will pick the highest quality stream to give you the most seamless streaming experience possible
By considering these factors, we aim to provide you with the best video playback quality on the Crunchyroll app, allowing you to enjoy your favorite shows to the fullest!
To find more FAQ’s and knowledge base questions and answers, access the rest of our knowledge base.
If you still need further help, need something changed regarding your account, or would like to contact us directly, please contact us with the details.